Winter is coming and that means winter holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years. This could mean lots of traveling for some too. If you are planning on traveling for the holidays, not only do you need to get those bags packed, but you also need to do a few things to ensure your home is safe and secure before you leave. Check out these holiday tips to prep your home for those holiday travels!
- Secure all doors and windows: Before leaving, make sure all doors and windows are securely locked. This may seem like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many people forget to do this.
- Set up a home security system: If you don’t already have a home security system, consider installing one. This can give you peace of mind while you’re away, knowing that your home is being monitored.
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to keep an eye on your house: Ask a friend or neighbor to keep an eye on your house while you’re away. They can pick up your mail, water your plants, and make sure everything looks normal.
- Use light timers: Set up light timers in different rooms of your home. This can give the impression that someone is home and deter potential burglars.
- Be careful on social media: Avoid posting about your holiday plans on social media. This can alert potential burglars that your home will be empty.
- Turn off your water: We all have heard the stories of pipes freezing over the winter and making a BIG mess. This can be avoided when leaving town by turning off the water.
- Turn off your water heater breaker: When you shut off the main water valve you want to also turn off the water heater so that it does not burn up while the water is off.
By following these holiday travel tips, you can help ensure that your home is safe and secure while you’re away. Follow us on YouTube for more winter home prep!